British Columbia: Fragaria chiloensis with yellow flowers?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Rowen Monks, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Rowen Monks

Rowen Monks New Member

Hello,

I am wondering if your F.chiloensis ever show yellow flowers. Living on a remote island off of Tofino, I see white and yellow-flowered strawberries on the rocky outcrops. The yellow-flowered strawberries don't look like the introduced Duchesnea indica or Potentilla indica, unless those two species also have fuzzy leaves. Trying to get an ID for the herbarium at the field station. I've included pictures below. Anything helps!

Thank you for your time,
    Rowen

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hi Rowen,

I doubt that Fragaria chiloensis ever has yellow flowers but, even if it does, I don't think the yellow-flowered plant in your photo is a Fragaria at all. It is a very beautiful plant to my eye and I think may be a Potentilla . . . but, if so, which one? E-Flora BC lists about 40 species and sub-species of Potentilla, only a few which are native to the west coast of BC. The only one I see that looks similar to yours is Potentilla villosa but it doesn't seem to have the red stamens. I wish I could offer more assistance and would love to know the name of the yellow-flowered plant if you ever positively identify it.

PS Potentilla indica is another name for Duchesnea indica so, only one species.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, it is Potentilla villosa.