Found species rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by 1950Greg, Sep 2, 2007.

1. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    I dug this rose up some years ago near my house in Langley BC. I planted it in my garden, thinking it was R. Nutkana. This year I noticed that there are two different plants growing side by side. The other plant resembles R. Acicularis: the plant is 6-7 or 8 feet high and 6 feet wide, arching canes at the top; the canes are covered with short thorns all the way up and surrounding each node there are 3-4 longer thorns; the hips are scarlet red and pear-shaped with sepals attached; the flowers are bright pink, 1 1/2 - 2" across, with 5 petals, mostly single; the leaves with 7-9 leaflets are light green and matte, resembling R. Rugosa. Can anyone confirm R. Acicularis or else put a name to this rose?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably an R. rugosa hybrid, spontaneously occurring* or escaping from cultivation - if you didn't inadvertantly raid a conservation planting or the vestiges of one.

*Plants appearing to be spontaneous crosses between R. rugosa and R. nutkana have been observed near Seattle

3. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Most likely not an escaped plant, more likely some variant cross.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plants escape from cultivation by seeding out into natural or uncultivated areas, as well as by vegetative fractions being dumped, planted intentionally or spread in water. Anywhere a bird or squirrel plants a cultivated plant and it manages to survive, such may appear. I have seen a thyme plant growing in rocky soil near a nature trail on a high mountain pass, bellflowers blooming beside the road on a high volcano, and solomon's seal beside a local mountain trail.