Found some orchids...ID help?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Gary G, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Gary G

Gary G Member

HI There,

I found some orchids in the trash a few months ago. They did well initially but I am having some difficulty with them and cannot ID them.

There are pics below. Any help appreciated.

I've been watering once a week (running water through). Feeding once a month.

The tall one gets more light..but still filtered and seems to be ok. The roots are encicled inside the pot many times...repot?

The other one has struggled lately. The newer growth turned yellow and is falling down.

Any help appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hm...
    1. could be an Oncidium sp. ...
    2. could be a Dendrobium sp. ...

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I believe Lila is right. Those are the only two kinds of orchids I have and yours look like them.

4. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

How are your plants doing?
    I do not agree with the ids above.
    Possibly a Brassia and the tall one a reedstem epidendrum.
    The plants both looked dehydrated.
    If you lost the first one it is understandable as it sounds like it had rot and with the loss of the new growth the rest of the plant is gone as well. Best to toss it.
    The epi is very hardy and you may want to look at the roots to see what condition they are in. The plant looks like it is in too much shade. Since you are in the Bay area you can put it outside during summer under a tree. It will do well with 40%-50% shading. These are generally tough plants but need to be in good mix.
    Let us know.

5. jaded928

jaded928 Member

No clue on the first ones but the last one is definitely an epidendrum. They are super hardy and considered the "poor man's orchid" for their resiliency. Have you repotted? and tossed some cinnamon on them (yes right out of the spice cabinet) to kill any fungus?

They should do well in the Bay Area but I just leave mine in the bathroom (mine has great bright indirect light) and it's like 4' tall now!