found some japanese specific fertilizer

Discussion in 'Maples' started by STi, Jun 28, 2006.

1. STi

STi Active Member

anyone try this stuff?

"Our Japanese Maple Fertilizer is specifically formulated for use on Japanese Maples and other low pH feeders. In their natural habitat, Japanese Maples use low ratios of nitrogen combined with higher levels of phosphorus for optimal root and branch development. This fertilizer will enhance color illumination in all varieties during the three main growing seasons. Delicate species will become more sun tolerant in hotter climates with this diet. Now you can create that showcase three you've always dreamed about when you feed with Peace of Mind Japanese Maple Fertilizer!"

100% Natural and Organic
    Low Nitrogen and High Phosphorus (4-8-5)
    Encourages dense vegetative growth
    Enhances root structure and strong branches

Attached Files:

• fert.bmp
      File size:
      468.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Harmless at best?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Nutrient requirements vary with mineral contents of soils and irrigation water.

4. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes- I tried it this year on maples 5 years or more, at half or less strength, in containers. Respectable results until now, no leaf burn. No reason why this fertilizer would be worse than others - in any case, I'd go real easy on any fertilization. The good thing is the lower nitrogen: I've seen fertilizers here, that mention japanese maples on their cover, only to see the nitrogen ratio at 15.
    I recommend reading some of the threads that deal with fertilization on this forum. Mr Shep, for instance, has some good thoughts based on his long time experience about fall and spring applications, and the effects of too much nitrogen.
    Ron B makes sense when he says that the soil itself is the first part of the equation. If you are thinking about maples in ground you could start with a soil test, to get at least a basic idea.
    Schusch

5. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

4 is too much where I live

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years