Forums offline today (Jul 22) @ 10:55am to noon

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi all,

As part of the Garden's move to the UBC Faculty of Science, we're having to move the "ownership" of the virtual server running the web site and forums over to Science (meaning we have to be plugged in to the Science network).

For this to occur, the forums will be taken offline @ 10:55am. They should be reinstated fairly quickly, but since we are changing IP addresses, it may take a while for the info to propagate to other DNS servers, so you may find you can't connect until noon or even later today.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Done, but it took far longer than was originally thought.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

After these changes, the old ubcbotanicalgarden.org bookmarks are no longer working, at least not here. I had to find the site via google, and have now updated my bookmarks with the botanicalgarden.ubc.ca addresses.

If this is a widespread problem, regulars with the old bookmarks may think the site is still down.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

THANK YOU, Michael. I just saw the notice about this posting. I had a terrible time getting connected last night, though eventually did manage, in one case after trying for more than 10 minutes. It seemed the same just this morning, but I connected right away when I changed the domain name in my url.

I did manage to connect with the old url, as I had to have in order to read this posting. [edited] No, how can that be right - I connected with the link from the notification. Maybe last night, I only got in via notification or google links (one was definitely a google link) and I didn't understand what was happening. But posting problems had to be something else, as I was already on. And I think the message about being unable to connect refers to the new url.

Eric, is the problem with something set up at the Faculty of Science? Are you able to notify them of the problem?

Oh wait, I'm having trouble posting this, and I do have the new url. Fifth attempt.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yep, me too. Experienced the horror of thinking that the roasting heat (95 inside my house) had cooked my computer...Went downstairs and got on the machine in the cooler basement, and there discovered that the googled UBC Forums link could be substituted for the obsolete previous one.
    Whew.

6. Daniel Mosquin

The virtual server move was somewhat botched, and the IT person at the Faculty of Science is well aware of the remaining issues. However, he has to wait for the network people at UBC IT services to correct something before he can fix the remaining problems.

7. wcutler

Thanks, Daniel. We've been spoiled all these years having the system under your control. You've done an amazing number of installations and implementations that have seemed to have gone in without a hitch by the time we saw them.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's been offline here for nearly a week. Only just now managed to get back on, by a very roundabout route with google search.

The usual bookmarked address still isn't working.

9. wcutler

Yes, if you haven't changed your bookmarks and get the "Unable to load" message, you can use the same trick as in my workaround in this thread:
    Work-around for navigation problems

That doesn't help people who aren't on to read it in the first place.

10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I *think* the old bookmarks are working again now (July 29); at least I fired up an old laptop and arrived directly at the site from an old .org bookmark.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Received notification from the IT staff at Science that this was finally resolved this morning, so everything should be back to working order.