Forums calendar turned off (temporarily)

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The calendar that is used for events and courses and lectures has been turned off temporarily.

I've recently upgraded the forum software. This adds new features, such as automatic image thumbnails (good for slow connections) and a more detailed calendar.

However, the calendar is still slightly "buggy". I'm unable to add an item on the calendar with the correct local time that the event occurs for people who aren't registered as members of the forum. As most events on the calendar are for local events, until this can be resolved, I can only see the calendar causing some confusion.

For now, please visit the events and courses & lectures links above for dates and times of each.

Thanks for your patience,
    Daniel

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Update - the calendar should be turned back on within a week or two. The next version of the software we are using for the forums corrects the problem.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

So is it fixed? The web site still says it's turned off (Sept 2, 2003). I liked seeing everything on a calendar.

Was it always so hard to tell what date items were posted? The list of threads shows last update date, so my note should remove any evidence that your note saying the fix is coming soon was posted July 21. On this page, where I'm doing the reply, at the bottom I can see the previous postings with the dates. But if the dates are listed on the screen where I read the postings, I need guidance finding them.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Hello Wendy,

No - still not fixed. That's what comes from relying on estimated software release dates from vendors!

Essentially, the problem is that for registered users of the forum, the times of events are correct. However, for guests or casual browsers, events can be scheduled to appear at 1 AM at night (when they should be set to appear at 4 PM PST). You can see where this might become a problem.

Fortunately, the latest version of the software is to be released this week - my understanding from the developers of the software is that it should fix the problem, as I'll be able to set a default time for guest browsers.

For now, though - you're right - it's annoying to have the calendars shut off. Let me see what I can do to alleviate the problem.

5. wcutler

Thanks for the speedy reply. It's not THAT annoying. No need to work all night at it. I was just expressing support for the feature so you'd know when you get it working that someone will appreciate it.

Not seeing the date of the posts in the thread is more annoying. In the case of this one, where the timing is the issue, it really removes an important piece of information.

6. Daniel Mosquin

They should appear right above the user name of the person posting (see attached). If it doesn't appear to you, there might be a problem with the styles / colours not working properly. I've noticed that the site does appear to flip some colours around in the Google cache of the site. I've no idea why that is, but can try to find out if you confirm the problem.

Attached Files:

7. wcutler

I never saw this posting until today when I wondered what I was complaining about last time I was on the site and went looking for the thread. Thanks for the picture showing where the date is, Daniel. It was definitely the case that I couldn't SEE the date. On my screen, it's black on a dark green background. Now that you show me where it is, if I look very hard I can see it. But if I don't know where to look, I can't see it at all.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Hmm. What web browser are you using? Not being able to see it is certainly a usability issue.

9. wcutler

MSIE 5.5.
    I'm trying to add a picture of what I see, but I'm not convinced I've done that. I used the Manage Attachments feature. The picture is actually better than what I see. - Sorry, I take that back. It looked better in MS Photodrw, but it looks the same here.

Attached Files:

10. wcutler

Congratulations on getting the new home page up, Daniel! It looks great.

Now I don't see any mention of a calendar at all. Was this a calendar-page-looking thing? Did you give up, or have I just not managed to navigate to any place that shows it? I found the list of events and courses. That wasn't what you were talking about, right?