Forum Member Locations

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by ChristopherZ, Feb 1, 2021.

1. ChristopherZ

ChristopherZ New Member

Im new to the forum and was wondering if there is any information on the numbers of members by geography? I'm in Victoria and I imagine there are plenty of members in my area but it would be handy to know roughly how many are in the Greater Victoria area. If I, for example, we're to ask if anyone in Victoria has sea holly from which I could take a root cutting, how many people in the area might I be reaching?

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I'm afraid, that this is not possible, because of users describe here their location by themselves (or leave empty). It is not possible to tally users by freely selectable region, if there is no information structure to support that. More or less free selection of users by their region was possible only if everyone was forced to list his/her coordinates. Ip-address is not so precise source of location for that. It may help to give relatively good information about user's country, but even for that one must take into account, that people are travelling etc.

If you want to address something for members from certain region, then you should mention it in yout message.

Acerholic likes this.
  3. ChristopherZ

ChristopherZ New Member

Thanks for the reply, I figured this would be the case.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Christopher and welcome to the forum, totally agree with Sulev reply. Can I add that it would help members who view your postings if you could change your location to Victoria BC rather than just Victoria. Obviously we have members from Australia on tbe forum and just a slight tweet to your location would help.
    If you are not aware, by clicking on the location you have written, it will show a map. Yours does not at the moment as there are many Victoria's. I clicked on it and it immediately showed a place near Southampton England and then in London, Lol.

Hope that's helped little.