Forced bloom

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by fourd, Jul 20, 2005.

1. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

I have a potted bird of paridise and was wondering anyone knows if and how to force it to flower? I admit these are not the best plants for pots, as such, I'll have to use chain saw to divide them, but before I do would like to see if I can get them to flower first. Haven't searched around for answers yet as someone here usually knows; hence my forst stop.

Also, have a pineaple about 7 years old that has never flowered. Was told they flower in three and live for five -- guess that isn't true. I asked the growers and they said I needed a second plant for it to flower -- can anyone verify that?

Thanks -- you guys are the best

2. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Have the answer on Bird of paradise = rootbound to flower. The whole pot is one big root so I may be close and should leave alone till it blooms and then divide.

For the pineapple, it is a bit of a mystery, but it doesn't look like you need a second plant. I did find "Fruiting can be forced when the plant is mature by using acetylene gas or a spray of calcium carbide solution (30 gms to 1 gal. water), which produces acetylene. " whoa, that's a bomb plant! But I also found: "calcium carbide (10 -12 grains) can be deposited in the crown of the plant to be dissolved by rain. A safer and more practical method for home growers is a foliar spray of a-naphthaleneacetic acid (1 gm in 10 gal water) or B-hydroxyethyl hydrazine. The latter is more effective. The plants usually produce for about four years, but they may last longer in California since the life cycle is slowed down by cooler weather."

I've had mine for at least 7 years!

3. swolcott

swolcott Member

To force a pineapple plant to bloom you can do it either of two ways.
    Take a dry cleaners bag and place it over the plant and put two over ripe apples under the bag.
    The decaying apples release ethylene gas, an olefiant gas, which is required for bromiliads to bloom.
    The other method is to place a small piece of calcium carbide in the center of the crown of the plant and fill with water. The water activates the release of acetylene gas whice is also an olefiant gas and will force the pineapple to bloom.
    The acetylene is flamable so this methood needs to be done in a ventilated area, preferably outdoors.

I have personally used the latter method and it works well. The calcium carbide is available on eBay in one pound containers. This method will leave a white residue on the leaves but will wash off in time.

The best time to force a pineapple is after it is two years old. Pineapples love the full sun and thrive there so a good strong plant will produce a better fruit than one kept indoors.

As to the bird of paradise... I haven't tried yet and that was why I was here in the first place.

Bon chance...