Identification: For lower growth

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Shelbys Greenfingers, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Shelbys Greenfingers

Shelbys Greenfingers Member

If you want to sprout some lower growth on your Dracaena you will find the apical meristem at the top of the plant. It is a bunch of leaves and when you grab it, it will fill thicker than a single leaf. Grab it at the base of the leaves and twist it until it pops off. I did this to mine and now have growth up and down the cane. Make sure your only twisting off that one group of leaves and not the whole canopy of the plant.

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Interesting method, I usually take cuttings, but I will give that a go...

Ed

3. Shelbys Greenfingers

Pinching out the apical meristem will cause a new shoot to form lower on the trunk (cane), perhaps more than one. Once it pops and the leaf bud opens you can pinch that bud off and root it in water then plant it once it roots. Glad I could help.

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, I'll give it a burl...Aussie for a "try"

Ed

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  5. Shelbys Greenfingers

I will try and get some pics of mine up so you can see them. I have to find my hardware. It is packed in a box in a storage unit but I will try. My Dracaena started out as 3 canes and now is up to 6. Enjoy the sun, it has been in the 20's and 30'sF here. I can't wait until March when it warms up again.