fluorescent bulb for plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rudecam, Sep 3, 2009.

1. rudecam

rudecam Member

i get very confused when it is time to buy fluorescent bulbs.
    I only want to grow simple indoor plants. they don't have flowers (if it matters)

i wonder what the "K" should be i found 1800K and 4200K but i don't know which would be the best for the plants, could anybody help?
    cam

2. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

Hi Cam:
    You can go to home depot or home hardware and buy fluorescent bulbs that are called Gro - Lux by Sylvania or other companies have their own name for plant culture bulbs. If you cannot find this type of bulb you can buy a cool ( blue side of light) and a soft bulb ( red side of light)and that will be good also. I personally use the Gro - Lux on hoyas, orchids etc. Lisa

3. rudecam

rudecam Member

i went to home depot, the only thing they seem to have as for growing plant is in the T12 format. but thanks for the name and the company name, it will help me get understood.
    cam

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Try looking for HydroFarm's Jump Start brand. They're meant for getting plants ready early during winter for spring transplant, but they'll work on your lower-light-needing plants. I've been using one for some hydroponically grown peppers, but that hasn't turned out so great. The plants are nice and healthy, but the actual peppers refuse to grow.

If you're just looking for the bulb, the jump start uses a "High Output T5" bulb.

5. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I think that special "gro lights" and not as expensive as they used to be, but historically everyone I know has eschewed them in favor of much cheaper - and equally effective - regular bulbs, usually one warm white and one cool white side by side. They work perfectly.