Wildflowers: Fluffy Seedheads of What?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Towhee Songsparrow, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Towhee Songsparrow

Towhee Songsparrow New Member

Wondering whose seedheads these are? Photographed in late July of 2016 off of Lake Tahoe hiking trails. I've always adored this forum! So many are so knowledgeable! dscf8683.jpg dscf8688.jpg

who

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
    Margot likes this.
  3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, that's a conundrum. Are you sure you photographed it along Lake Tahoe? These don't seem to be native to California or Nevada, but it is definitely a Dryas.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Dryas is the logo for The Scottish Rock Garden Club.

scottish rock garden club logo - Google Search

After I posted I looked to see where Lake Tahoe was.
    Then thought ooops!

Source: Wikipedia

Dryas octopetala, the mountain avens,[2] eightpetal mountain-avens, white dryas or white dryad,[3] is an Arctic–alpine flowering plant in the family Rosaceae. It is a small prostrate evergreen subshrub forming large colonies. The specific epithet octopetala derives from the Greek octo (eight) and petalon (petal), referring to the eight petals of the flower, an unusual number in the Rosaceae, where five is the normal number. However, flowers with up to 16 petals also occur naturally.

As a floral emblem, it is the official territorial flower of the Northwest Territories and the national flower of Iceland.