Flower or Weed

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Marvin, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Marvin

Marvin Member

I have some long stem plants my Mom gave me in which I planted in my own yard. At the time, I thought they were flowers, but now I'm questioning my thoughts about them. Are they some type of plant/flower or are they actually weeds. My wife thinks they are weeds and says they're ugly. Needless to say I'm still taking care of them on a weekly basis unless I find out otherwise. I bought some plant support stakes cause the stems are getting so tall.
    I've attached some photos for a better description.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

It looks like Cyperus papyrus to me

3. Marvin

Marvin Member

So...are they worth keeping?

4. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....your call

5. tlpenner

tlpenner Active Member

plant in a natural setting

I think so. They have several merits.

Look how green this is in March, when many other perennials are still rising out of the soil. I think that gives them merit alone, but they also have quite an architectural quality if you have the right place to show it off.

Papyrus is related to the bulrush family and usually found at the edge of streams and marshes. I like to use them as a specimen at the edge of a pond or marsh garden. The key is to set them at one edge of an open horizontal space (like a pond or some soggy mossy area of ground), and nestle a couple of nice stones up close. Plant other marsh-loving perennials such as iris or some lilies near by for variety and colour.

If all else fails and you decide to dig them up, you could always use them in a more traditional way--to make paper, like the Egyptians.....

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The plant appears to be Cyperus alternifolius which is much smaller than C. papyrus. It also does well as an indoor tropical.