Flower ID, and flower ID guide book suggestion?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dbookbinder, Aug 7, 2003.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Attached is another flower image I'm working with and wondering what type of flower it is. I'd also appreciate any suggestions for good handbooks for identifying both wild flowers and garden flowers.

Thanks so much,
    David

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like a gazania to me (probably from the 'Daybreak' series or 'Sunshine Mixture'). Gazanias are tender perennial plants, mostly grown as annuals. The two mentioned above are seed strains that have been bred for early-produced, abundant flowers.

3. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your help. Any ideas on good books I might find to help me start learning to identify flowers on my own? I'm interested in both garden/house plants and wild flowers.

- David

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello,

With regard to books, I firstly suggest a visit to the library to familiarize yourself with some of the plant references available.

I suspect you'll find that one of the best reference books available is the American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants listed on the . AHS Books page. The book is often used as the first "go-to" book for garden plants at UBC.

Kind regards,
    Daniel