First aid for A.P. Osakazuki

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Renata Magda, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Thanks for interesting and helpful replies about the acer negundo flamingo......

Maples are a new hobby - As a new gardener I hopped over planting summer flowers etc etc and have become fascinated by trees - especially these ones.

What do you do with an Osakazuki that's leaves are still buds at this time of year? The tree seems frozen in spring time modus! I'm afraid I moved it- which of course was the wrong move at the wrong time! It is obviously dried out I know maples shouldn't go without water.....but the roots themselves look quite fine.

I'm not waiting for a miracle but is there anything I can do with this tree as an experiment? Cut it down to the root? Give it aloe vera juice?!!!!!!! I never give up on my plants as you should never underestimate nature!

I have since aquired a new Osakazuki tree (last week) am a bit worried if I planted this one in too dry a spot at my hytte (cabin) - when I dug down there wasn't any moisture in the ground but there were a couple of worms!!!!! I'm certainly keeping a close eye on this one.

Thanks very much and have a good evening/afternoon/morning...

Renata

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi Renata !you read FAQ how to plant a maple?for old Osakazuki cut a little and see if the branch is green, if no cut more if the branch are total brown....
    aloe vera juice?;))

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Renata,

Like you I have more time for trees than flowers! Although I do have a few...

Alex's advice is very good. Normally any buds that haven't opened and are dried by now are dead, sorry. Cut back until you hit green cambium, then hope that emergency buds get started. If there is no green until below the graft but the roots are OK, you may get to enjoy a fine plant yet: A. palmatum ssp palmatum!

I had two go back completely to ground this year. A. pensylvaticum, grown from seed and here in the 3rd year, leafed out then froze completely. I cut back to almost nothing, now, there are very large leaves and shoots coming out. A. longipes ssp catalpifolium was a standard newly arrived, just starting to leaf out when the freeze hit. It is now a tiny shrub :( but still alive :)!

What zone are you in, if I may ask?

-E

P.S. Stay away from aloe vera, try osmocote... ;) or seaweed extract if you can get it.