fine web on Himalayan honeysuckle

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by shelleylondonhauka, Aug 17, 2019.

1. shelleylondonhauka

shelleylondonhauka Member

I thought the plant had been sun scorched , but found more and more of the plant in distress. Today upon very close inspection found this fine web over great parts of 2 of my plants.....
    Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Heavy mite infestation, in addition to the webbing the stippled appearance of the leaves is a hallmark.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. shelleylondonhauka

shelleylondonhauka Member

Oh boy,...(I feel like such a bad parent !)
    remove from area and spray with soap and water? can I inadvertently spread the mites?
    Please advise.
    Thank you.

5. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Spider mites are almost everywhere, so spreading them or not is mostly irrelevant. It's the the too-dry-leaves that allow them to flourish. Is that plant under some kind of overhang to limit it's rainwater leaf washing from above? The "Sharp" spray setting on a typical hose-end sprayer works well to kill mites. Nothing will bring back the dead & dying leaves, but new leaves will come in nice if you spray the plant as frequent as is possible without making the soil too wet. Especially concentrate under the leaves and on the stems.