Finding the right flowering vine.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Limey, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Limey

Limey Member

I'm still quite new at this so hopefully I won't sound too stupid.

I have a large trellis along the south side of my deck with a flower bed at about waist height. Currently it is unused and I'd like to make use of the trellis but I have a few questions.

~ Is it to late in the season to be planting a flowering vine?
    ~ Given that the soil in this flower bed is only about 6" deep do you think I will run into any problems down the road once the plant matures and the roots take over the bed. ??
    ~ Also, what would you recommend in the way of flowering vine for this location. I live in Abbotsford BC and the side of the deck get's mostly sun and very little shade, however in the winter there will be a lot of rainfall and potentially some frost or snow so the plant must be tollerant of that. I believe I'm classified as an 8a for soil and climate, however the bed currently is filled with a simple potting soil.

Thanks for your advice.

Limey

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Vines, vines, vines

It's awfully late to be planting anything right now, it's better to wait until spring before planting your vine. If you decide you'd like an annual vine they need time to grow and flower - sweet peas and beans are a good choice (e.g. scarlet or blue runner) for beautiful summertime flowers. This has the advantage of allowing you to change your mind on the vine grown every year!
    For perennial vines, clematis is a good choice (e.g. 'Ville de lyon' http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=800). You could also try honeysuckles, climbing roses, or Akebia quinnata. Just make sure to check how big your vine is going to grow before you buy it! Some roses will climb 20m easily. The clematis reccomended needs less pruning and is a smaller variety, but if you find something you like more just be aware it might end up at the top of your trellis looking for somewhere to go! If you choose a smaller vine the soil restrictions will also cause less of a problem.

Good luck!

3. Finding the right flowering vine

Fall is the best time to plant hardy stock. The soil is still warm, rains are increasing and roots are the most active of the whole year. Visit your favorite dealer(s) and see what they have that looks good (perhaps they even have something special you could try at the UBC Botanical Garden shop). Commercial growers often send such plants out with tags right on them that indicate likely size and suitable exposure.

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Limey,
    I agree with Unregistered that fall is really the best time to plant perennials, including perennial vines. I do have some concerns though with the recommendation of perennial vines for this bed. You say:
    Maybe Hort Line didn't notice that you mentioned that the bed is only 6" deep. I don't know of any perennial that would be able to survive with that depth of soil other then alpines, cactus and succulents. Given the wet winter conditions described, those would not survive either.

Clematis roots can take 2 or 3 years to establish themselves before they produce flowers. They need that time to grow and grow they do. They can go 3' (one meter) deep in the soil. Potting soil will not support them or allow them to thrive. They will need lots of compost.

My suggestion would be to plant annual vines in that bed. There are many that are lovely. The sweet peas should be started indoors in February as they like cool weather and will fizzle out when the hot weather arrives. You could plant cardinal climber, or any of the other annual vines that strike your fancy, to take over when the peas are finished.

Try searching for ideas at www.google.com and put in the search box:
    vine + annual
    vine + tender

Here's a site you should find helpful for some ideas.
    http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/landscape/HomeLandscaping/Vines/Vines.asp

There are also vines that are grown for their lovely foilage. For example, if you have a white house with dark trim, the sweet potato vine called 'Blacky' (Ipomoea batatas 'Blacky') would look wonderful climbing the trellis. You could even combine it with something that will grow with it on the trellis at the same time that blooms in white.
    http://www.canadiangardening.com/kids1.shtml

You could also search at google using the names listed on this site. Do use the Latin or botanical name if you have it as you'll probably get more info that way. You can also click on 'Images' at google and usually get pictures too.

All winter to dream and plan. Also think about putting some annuals in the bed as well. There is one that blooms it's head off all summer and needs no deadheading, if you're in to yellow daisy like flowers. It's called melampodium. Doesn't have a nick name. The first one has a better picture of what it really looks like.
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/annuals/melampodium_paludosum.html
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/M/mela_div.cfm

Hope this helps,
    Newt