Fig trunk / limbs

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by msgreek, Jan 23, 2008.

1. msgreek

msgreek Member

My fig cutting is approximately 5 feet now but without limbs. Now that the young cutting is in hibernation should I cut the main shoot where I would like the limbs or will the cutting automatically grow its own limbs?
    Many Thanks for your help.

2. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

The fig whip/cuttings can automatically grow side limbs but surely cutting the top of the leader will force it to grow side limbs/shoots earlier than without cutting it. If you look at the nursery stock, most often you may see the central leader cut off and that is where the side shoots grow just close to the cut or below.

3. Ottawa-Zone5

Hi msgreek
    I should have mentioned that fig plant can be grown as a single trunk tree in warm areas (like California) and also like a multi-trunk bush or tree in cold areas. People in very cold areas do not have a choice but to grow it as a multi-trunk tree or to put it correctly the nature makes them do it. The temperatures below -7C kills the portion above the roots during the winter but the roots grow new shoots in late spring.
    Since you are in warm area then if you wish to grow it as a tree, you may choose to wait until it gets to the right height that you want the tree to be and then truncate the top at that height for the side shoots to start.
    Also, look at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/mb/figs4funforum

4. msgreek

msgreek Member

Thank you very much for the information ! During the summer I picked off the top eye leaf but that didn't create any limbs. My last fig tree was perfect; the lowest limbs were approx 4-5 feet from the ground, hight to approx 12-15 feet and very broad in diameter. The size made fruit picking easy. Before making the cut, I'll follow the links you provided.
    Again, Many thanks !
    Msgreek

5. Ottawa-Zone5

The link provided is for more general information on fig growing on another forum. It is " fig only " forum.