Fig tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by treexxx3, May 1, 2005.

1. treexxx3

treexxx3 Member

What kind of soil to use,when should I prune?My tree is very root bound ,thought I would put it in a bigger pot.Trunk is about 4in. across and about 5 ft. high.I did not cut it back so there is very little fruit this year.

2. krajina

krajina Member

hallo treexxx3, i would not prune a fig tree in summer. i would try to prune it in the fall or spring time, and that pruning should include root pruning. if your fig tree is in a container you can pinch branch tips any time to produce more branches for the next year and that way you get more figs.

I use triple mix soil for my container figs. it is not heavy to carry around my container and it is giving sufficient food to the tree. i buy soil in RONA, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc.

I live in Brampton, Ontario. it is cold in my city.

One week ago i bought Bifara fig, actually it is not a fig yet, it is a 9" little stick, no leaves, and it costs $115.00 I complained that it is too expensive, that it might be a price mistake. Nursery Manager told me that it is a right price since they had to "import" it from British Columbia, Canada. Humber Nursery in Brampton, Ontario is selling them. since i am an addict for fig trees i could not resist not to buy it.

what kind of figs do you have? thank you.

3. treexxx3

treexxx3 Member

Your right on all counts. I bought my fig tree last spring 5 ft.high by 4 ft .wide and I paid $150 for it.I got about 3 -5gal. pails of figs off it last year. The person I bought it from said the same things you did.My June crop should be better. It has tear drop type figs ,I do not know the name.I just bought another fig tree from him 3 ft high by 2 ft wide for $ 30 ,these figs are the long type.I do not know its name also.This person says that in the fall when the leaves all fall of,find a sucker and cut it at 45 degree angle dip it in root compound and plant it in a pot and keep it moist.Next spring I should have a new tree.I leave mine out all summer, southern exposer. In the fall I put it in the garage whith a small ceramic heater so it will not freeze.

Ed

4. krajina

krajina Member

One more thing to ask; do you have Natalina fig tree? I got a little cutting 3 days ago and I am just wondering how is this fig going to be. Does it grow fast, slow, is it large figs, small figs, sweet or none of the above. Also, if could you comment on Bifara fig too. Thank you very much.