Ficus in the ground?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Lani, Apr 5, 2004.

1. i have 3 ficus trees growing in my backyard in Perth Australia and from enlarged photos from the net, I think the variety is a ficus superba miq var. henneana (Miq) corner, deciduous fig, FISUH, MORACEAE, Group DICOT....growing about 12 feet tall planted between wooden backyard fence and pavement......should this kind of plant be growing in the ground so close to the fence and pavement.....do the roots go down or spread out to eventually push the pavement and fence? thanks.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ficus superba var. henneana sounds like an interesting plant.

If that's indeed what you have, it sounds to me like your backyard is probably not the right place for one of them, nevermind three. One site I located mentioned it is a plant suited for large gardens and parks - partly because it can grow to 35m tall (100 feet!) and it has a spreading crown. It also has buttressed roots, and they will ignore fences and concrete... Are you positive about the identification?

Here's the resource:

Ficus superba var. henneana from the Brisbane Rainforest Action & Information Network.

Also, a taxonomic description of the plant (with a map of its distribution):

Ficus superba var. henneana from the Flora of Australia Online

3. ficus in the ground

considering that i have just moved into this house, your info is scarry - am going to check it out at our local nurseries and probably will attempt to kill it as the next step. will post again once i ascertain its name. thanks.