Fertilizing apple trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Mistydog, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Mistydog

Mistydog Member

It is August 8th and I am wondering if I should fertilize an apple tree now or later and the fertilizer formula. It is a dwarf with Jonagold, Liberty, Belle de Boskoop and Yellow Transparent grafted. Lots of lerge fruit on the Jonagold, a fair amount on the Liberty, two very large apples on the Yellow Transparent were eaten into by crows 10 days ago but no apples on the Belle de Boskoop. I am trying to espallier it but I'm a rookie and need a lesson. I put two posts in the ground 6 feet apart and 6 feet above ground and have two by two's horizontally approximately two feet apart. Tiny black flies, little black bugs, some green bugs, a green and yellow fly about 1/4" long (I'm pr metric) have been a nuisance this year. I live on the north shore. Are there any one day courses scheduled that anyone knows of that could provide information on espalliering and growing apple trees? RR

2. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

hello, sorry for the lateness of this response.
    You missed my day seminar on espalliers that was held in June, but during the apple festival in october i will be giving quick demos on espallier pruning and maintenace.
    As for your question on fertilizing, at the Botanical Garden we rarely fertilize, but as for you i would wait until spring and use a balanced fertilzer at recomended label rates. usually a handful strewn about a tree is enough for a young tree. Using organic mulches and compost is often all that is needed to maintain the health of your trees.