Fertilizer for best fall color and foliage on Katsura?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Suze415, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Suze415

Suze415 Active Member

Hope it's ok to post about Katsura here...couldn't figure out where it should go.

So I picked up a 12' tree and it got planted yesterday. I thought it was a nice looking tree. Then yesterday I visited a different nursery and their katsuras have these huge colorful leaves, some really amazing foliage, various sized leaves, colors. Same species supposedly - the japonicum upright. So now I'm thinking perhaps they know the secret to fertilizing a special way? Does anyone have any idea how to turn my small leaved Katsura into big beautiful super colorful leaves for next year? Attaching a pic of the katsura I saw yesterday.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

While there is no doubt some genetic variation between individuals and how each will colour in the autumn, for the best colour display I think you need to ensure massive chlorophyll build-up (through exposure to sun, good watering, and sufficient fertilizer / soil nutrients) followed by drought-stress at the right time in the autumn. The latter would be much easier with potted plants than with a tree in the ground!

3. Suze415

Suze415 Active Member

Thanks Daniel. I hadn't thought about genetic variation! I guess I figured a species is a species. Don't laugh, total newbie. So if I want leafing like I'm seeing at this nursery, I had best buy that tree. Could you weigh in on a new question I posted about watering trees?

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Is the tree pictured a named cultivar by any chance ?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  5. Suze415

Suze415 Active Member

It's a regular Japonicum - not the red variety. Looks like it tho! They had those there too, as well as Claim Jumpers.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Another factor I failed to mention -- temperature regulation in the autumn (which again might be easier in a nursery situation).

Suze415 likes this.