Ferns: Ferns with curly fronds ID

Discussion in 'Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)' started by William39, Mar 25, 2020.

1. William39

William39 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could ID the ferns pictured below. They are beautiful, and someone told me they are Alaskan ferns, but they develop new fronds from the center of the plant, not on the existing fronds. They are very hardy and keep their beautiful green colour year-round. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Attached Files:

wcutler and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to these forums.

I am not a fern expert but think this could be Polystichum setiferum ‘Plumodivisilobum’, one of my favourites.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. William39

William39 New Member

Thank you Margot! Both for the welcome and for the information! I wasn't expecting a reply so quickly! Having looked up the Latin name and resulting images & descriptions, I believe that you're correct! I think these are also called "Plumose soft shield ferns." Now to find a nursery selling these! Thank once again! And all the best you!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Let me know if you are unsuccessful finding the fern locally. I may be able to send you a piece of mine. When they are growing happily, they create baby ferns at the ends of their fronds that can be rooted. Mine originated in the well-known Burnaby garden of Kay and Bill Huffman.

I believe we gardeners have the responsibity and the privilege of sharing special plants like these.