Fern Species Mt. Liamuiga, Saint Kitts

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Andrew Mikolinski, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Andrew Mikolinski

Andrew Mikolinski New Member

Collected these on Mt. Liamuiga on 9/1/22. I have a couple of guesses as to what species a few of these ferns are, but I am uncertain and need confirmation on a few of them, I have no idea about the rest. I have been unable to ID them using other online resources. I believe that most of the species shown below (except Spermacoce verticillata) below are at least pteridophytes. Any ideas about the genera or species in these pictures are greatly appreciated. I included a picture of the environment below as well. Apologies for using so many attachments in one thread.

1) Possibly Hammock Fern; Blechnum occidentale
    IMG_4667.JPG
    2) Possibly a Polypodium species
    IMG_4668.JPG
    3) Possibly Ovate Maiden Fern; Thelypteris ovata
    IMG_4671.JPG
    4) Spermacoce verticillata and an unidentified fern species found growing on the side of a tree trunk.
    IMG_4673.JPG
    5) Possibly a Microgramma species
    IMG_4674.JPG
    6) Possibly a Blechnum species
    IMG_4678.JPG
    7) Uncertain about the genus and species of both specimens
    IMG_4682.JPG
    8) Possibly another Blechnum species
    IMG_4683.JPG
    9) Found growing on a tree trunk, possibly an Elaphoglossum species
    IMG_4702.JPG
    10) Image of the environment
    IMG_4575.JPG

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We don't have print resources for tropical ferns on-site here at UBC, so we're limited to what we can find online as well. Have you tried iNaturalist (at least for researching) ?

Here is an iNaturalist "checklist" of the flora, which I'm sure is nowhere near complete: Saint Kitts and Nevis Check List

This summary report suggests the flora is relatively well-known: http://www.irf.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/BiodiversityProfile_StKitts-Nevis.pdf

I haven't been able to track down this paper: Box, HE and AHG Alston. 1937. Pteridophyta of St. Kitts. J. Bot. 75:241-260.

3. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years