Identification: Fern A: Light Green Colour, Makes a Large Upward Tuft, though Leaves are Small Compared to the Stems

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by jason9v, May 28, 2019.

1. jason9v

jason9v Active Member

Hello Everyone,

Do you know what this fern is? It is a green colour lighter than some other ferns and plants, makes a large tuft that points upwards, though its individual leaves are relatively small on each stem.

Elevation : 1300 m
    Season : Late July

Jason

Plant 50 - 1 Overview.jpg Plant 50 - 2 Detail.jpg Plant 50 - 3.jpg Plant 50 - 4.jpg

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lady fern, growing in the sun.

jason9v likes this.
  3. jason9v

jason9v Active Member

That's fascinating - the lady ferns in my post for Fern C point more sideways and diagonally, and have leaves that form a relatively solid sheet along the stem - but the lady ferns in my current post for Fern A point much more upright, and have leaves that seem to be quite small and sparse on the stems ( especially looking at that centre stem in the 4th photo ). Does growing in the sun make the lady ferns grow more upright and the leaves shrink? The lady ferns in my current post for Fern A are also at a slightly higher elevation, if that affects its development?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Elevation won't make much difference, but sun exposure definitely will.