Feedback requested

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I was trying out a bit of new software a couple days ago - I recorded both the Powerpoint slides and audio of the presentation I was giving on Plants, Gardens and Landscapes of the Southwest USA.

I'd appreciate it if you could give it a try and let me know what you think of this experiment. Is it valuable? Something you'd like to see more of? Would you be willing to pay to access such things? Did you experience any technical difficulties?

It's available here (high-speed connections only, I should think, since it reaches 200 MB in size):

Plants, Gardens and Landscapes of the Southwest USA (clocks in at 61m 20s)

Since it was an experiment, I should report that it did break down. Near the thirty minute mark, the audio started to drop out (disappear) and then recovered, but became desynchronized with the rest of the photographs.

I purposely tried out the garden's lightweight travel laptop for this, and I suppose it means it is underpowered for this application (1.3 GHz with 528 MB RAM). To record future presentations, it seems a more powerful laptop will be necessary.

In any case, the first thirty minutes is watchable - try it out, see if it crashes the web server...

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I checked it out but will have to reserve comment until I can watch it again with audio which doesn't seem to be working at my end.

3. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

My screaming machine,3.2Ghz, 8Gb had no problem with it. Downloaded fast. But the audio was delayed, behind the pictures you were describing. Pay?, at an event yes. on-line no. More of: yes, it would be nice to have links to a video forum, about these types of subjects.

But the size of the download, leaves many folks out of the picture. It would have been smaller, using other software languages.

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

No difficulties here, well, except for the mentioned synchronization problem...would i like to see more, yes sir, would i pay....erm no, sorry.

why not do one for the botanic gardens there, i'd love to see a mini tour.

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Just redo it in Windows Movie Maker which comes with Windows.

You have the images.

All you need to do is narrate.

I did still image stuff with that program.

6. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

no probs here,nice to put a voice with your name.i agree with above,i would a a mini tour ayof ubc as well

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks all for the comments. I'll definitely put out the idea of doing these for the gardens (or for the separate gardens) to other staff members.

Mario, the program I'm using allows me to export the same recording into multiple formats: Flash + Java (like you saw for this one), Quicktime, WMV, iPod and more. It's also more cross-platform than the MovieMaker.