Favourite Plants in Your Garden

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 12, 2003.

1. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

In my "garden"? My Swiss Stone Pines, bought about 10 years ago from Cdn Tire, now about a foot tall. One of them wounded by the septic tank cleaner guy last week- dragged the sucker hose against it.
    In my indoor garden: my coffee tree.
    Carl

2. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Oh i always fancied one of those. Was it grown from a coffee bean?

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hydrangea are not my favorite plant,

Also did you know, that the type of soil ( pH) dictates what color the flower is?

They hail from Indonesia - Asia which surprised me.

This image has been (or is hereby) released into the public domain by its creator, Arpingstone. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible, the creator grants anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

Attached Files:

4. GreenLarry

Good grief thats a big Hydrangea Kate! Is that you in the pic? I'd love one of those and yea i knew about their soil testing properties. Wonder what colour mine would go. Also you can put baking powder in the soil to change the colour.

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

*Grin

No thats from Wiki. I put that its from the 'public domain'.

It could have been taken in a park even.

Good size sure enough. Watch QVC for root growth stuff, its 'supposed' to be a miracle worker lol.

Defo not me Larry...hhehehehee

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Nice big one but would be totaly cooked here out in the open like that. Yes re PH mine are so blue and purple and strong autumn tones because of the very acidic basalt soil here. One of my purple ones went a deep red but I can't quiet work out why. I use wood shavings as mulch (free) and that was all I did. For one year it went pink. or a deep red pink. Maybe the tree that was wood shaved was alkaline in nature. Certainly was pretty. I guess what I am saying I always thought shavings soured the soil.

Liz

7. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Liz,

I never saw one as big - ever. My neighbour is new and before that the Hydranga was planted (Their garden) and its still not so big after at least four years. Later its breakfast here Iwill take a pic of it.

Here it does'nt get enough sun for huge specimens. I hate here for the weather, its rained now since monday and the flowers are spoiling...argeeeee

Your colors are about the only ones I have seen which is why I don't like them, I like pastels and hot colors.

Wood shavings, now theres a starnge thing but on reflection is a living thing wood/tree the shavings came from. I have no idea about soil sourers Liz. I only know Rhodedendrens like Eracacious compost lolol

My way is to plant it then leave it apart from a feed now and again.

8. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I have three favourite plants which are: Northern sea oats "Chasmanthium latifolia" because it's tolerant of my north facing exposure and has beautiful seed heads; Rosa 'Reine de Reschet' (I think I've got the name right) because it's a well behaved and easy going rose with luscious dark pink intensely fragrant roses and blue oat grass "Helictotrichon sempervirens", because it's also well-behaved clumping grass with seed heads that are a plant impersonation of Las Vegas showgirls.

9. Liz

Helictotrichon sempervirens", because it's also well-behaved clumping grass with seed heads that are a plant impersonation of Las Vegas showgirls.

What a great description. That would be a nice one to compliment my grass patch. Description said "It can be found growing wild in central and southwest Europe"

Liz

10. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

11. GreenLarry

Nice grass there Kate. I think grasses are under rated!

12. Liz

Probably more managable than pampas but would be also a good idea not to let the seeds spread if you are in a similar climate where Pampas takes off. Could pick for indoors or maybe spray them with hair spray while still on bush to stop the wind doing it's thing. I suspect it might quiet like it here :/

Liz

13. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

Re: Favorite plants growing on SW ON Farm

I get some of my best ideas through these exchanges. Thank you for contributing.

14. GreenLarry

A plant i used to have is one that grows in shade or sun. Has big leaves for ground cover,is very tough and even has scented flowers. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Bergenia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergenia

15. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

No, but I've grown about 30 plants from its beans.
    Carl

16. Liz

I am going to nominate my young "Pin oak" a seedlig from my fathers garden that is going gang busters up the paddock. Glorious autumn colour and has plenty of room to grow like his hundred year old brother down the road that is absolutly huge. Rivals some of the Mountain ash [Eucalypt] in height and spreads over about half an acre. My tree is about 15 feet high now and safe inside the goat proof cage.

Liz

17. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Mine is for all time my image beside my name -- Calandula Marigold old type.

I would love to say double pink Peony, if I could grow them I would...haahahahaha

18. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

oooooo difficult, either the Agapanthus or my perrenial Tropaeolums the perrenial ones but then i tend to change my mind on my favorite plant a lot i just like them all. lol

19. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Awe Greerish but the Agapanthus are beautiful..Regal almost!

Do they come in other colors besides blue?

20. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

umm white? i havnt seen any but i did buy a really dark blue/purple one almost black.

21. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

22. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh lmaoooooooo

Wrong image, yes. Gerbera..time for a cuppa by the look of that Calandula...not...what a bloomer (mistake) to make!

No. That image is found in the Cameron Highlands..pahang...Malaysia. I do have three colors myself in the garden. Red, white and orange.

Thanks for letting me know I was a dork today silver surfer.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  23. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

the favourite plants in my garden are the plants the deer don't eat OR nibble

24. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Pity you can't enjoy both Paula,

Shame. But to see that kind of wildlie is a huge bonus, or would be for us Brits.