Appreciation: Favourite evergreen shrub - go!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by heavypetal, Mar 11, 2020.

1. heavypetal

heavypetal New Member

I'm finally ripping out the sad lawn in my front yard and boulevard, and am designing a garden for this small, part-shade space. I'm not so much looking for recommendations for this particular garden (though smaller, shade-tolerant evergreen recos would be great), but I am curious about your all-time favourite evergreen shrubs, and why you love them.

I'll start with mine: Daphne odora, or winter daphne. That fragrance! That tidy growth habit! What are your favourites? Why do you love them?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What an interesting challenge! Not sure what you mean by 'recos'
    though.

I'm crazy about rhodos but my number one favourite shrub is Evergreen Huckleberry (Vaccinium ovatum). Let me count the ways . . . first is that is a BC native plant and I always give priority to garden-worthy BC native plants. Even if it were not 'one of ours', it is a gorgeous shrub, every season of the year. It is evergreen. It is pest free. It doesn't grow too fast or too slow. It can grow in sun or partial shade. It produces delicious berries that persist for weeks in late summer and early fall (don't know why the birds don't gobble them up).

And, as a completely surendipidous experience, it provided me with one of my most treasured memories when I discovered 2 of these enormous moths recently hatched in its branches.
    220px-Polyphemus_Moth_Antheraea_polyphemus.jpg
    Antheraea polyphemus - Wikipedia

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Recommendations, not a type of plant. :)

4. Heathen

Heathen Active Member

Common though it is, I'm a fan of Arbutus unedo. Tasty fruits, plenty of growth, and nearly every one I've looked after in clients' gardens has had a resident hummingbird. :)
    Second place is Pacific Wax Myrtle. It attracts a great variety of birds, and grows big enough to screen out the neighbours. Deer don't bother it much either. Big plus!

5. heavypetal

heavypetal New Member

I love our native huckleberry as well :) Will definitely consider this for my front garden as I'd love include more native and edible plants. Thanks!

6. heavypetal

heavypetal New Member

I don't have first-hand experience with either of these - thanks for helping to broaden my horizons :)

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    From the Salish Sea Coast nr Vanc

I realize you said evergreen

However I like the plain old original huckleberries w red berries in summer ... the leaves fall off in autumn but the twigs are really pretty red then spring brings little bright green leaves and the cycle continues. birds love the red fruit

Plus once established - minimal water in a forest type garden

Not really a shrub - but somewhat evergreen and low maintenance and minimal summer water once established in forest type garden : SWORD fern

What else - minimal water and fuss and trimming ... Oregon grape (mahonia )

For sure NO to laurel - holly - ivy and maybe even Pieris Japonica for my style tho the leaves look nice in floral arrangements

8. heavypetal

heavypetal New Member

I love Western sword fern and mahonia as well. Reminds me of the forested half-acre surrounding my childhood home - I think those childhood plants will always have a special place in the heart.