Favorite heat tolerant maples (full sun)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Connor Sullivan, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

I was hoping to get some suggestions for favorite heat tolerant full sun maples in zone 8-9!?

I was looking into Beni Shien (Purple Smoke) or does anyone know if Geisha Gone Wild loves full sun?! I’m looking for something a little more unique and colorful than Fireglow but I may settle with that.

Thank you!

vbx likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Connor Sullivan good morning Connor, Geisha gone wild is an excellent choice for full sun if it is a varigated pink you are after. If you want some yellows then can I suggest Summer Gold. I have both and they are very colourful all Summer with no damage.
    I understand what you are saying about Fireglow, but this is wonderful cultivar that really stands out in any landscaped garden from Spring to Autumn. You cannot go far wrong with this one IMO.

vbx and Connor Sullivan like this.
  3. Connor Sullivan

@Acerholic Thank you as always for the quick and thoughtful responses!

I really do like Fireglow but I already have a Bloodgood in my front yard that is doing really well in the full sun. If you remember, I had a Mikazuki that I was wanting plant in this corner but everyone seems to think it might not be able to take the heat, if Geisha Gone Wild can be a better hot sun pick, I think that’s what I want!

I really am impressed by bright hot pink maples!

Acerholic likes this.
  4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I have a Shiraz, it’s about 7 foot now, and growing strong which is very very similar, its in almost full sun, put it this way it gets full sun at the hottest part of the day, 2pm- 6pm.. but it also gets a fair amount of wind protection.. I do get a little leaf scorch but not too bad.. I think full sun locations must have very good wind protection for any fairly sun tolerant Palmatum. I had mine in a shadier spot last year and I didn’t get the very dark purple variegation, it was dark green and pink instead..

I have been impressed by beni schichihenge’s ability to take nearly full sun..although this year I didn’t get the super intense pink for reasons beyond me.. BS in pic 1, Shiraz in pic 2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  5. Connor Sullivan

Very good info, thank you!

Is anybody familiar with a variety called Rainbow? Very similar coloration to Giesha Gone Wild and supposedly as heat tolerant according to Conifer Kingdom.@Acerholic

Acer palmatum 'Rainbow' _ Japanese Maple _

They have them for sale from Conifer Kingdom and that’s in Silverton OR, I might make the drive out there to cherry pick a good one for myself.

Thanks!

6. Acerholic

@Connor Sullivan good morning Connor, Rainbow is a lot more intense darker pink than Shirraz or Beni shichihenge, so I wonder if it is enough of a delicate pink for your position that you are after.
    But as a stand out maple then Rainbow does the job very well.
    Have a kook at Amazing Maples specimen on this link.
    Acer palmatum 'Rainbow'
    Now if Charlie recommends it, then that is good enough for me.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  7. vbx

vbx Active Member

Is the mature height of the Summer Gold 7-8 ft? I'm looking for something a bit taller for the front yard.

Excellent thread by the way. I'm sure a lot of people would love to know all the heat tolerant maples!

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  8. Acerholic

@vbx good morning A, Summer gold will reach 13ft in around 8 years. It is fully sun tolerant that I can attest to in my garden, but your heat maybe a bit more than mine. I had 34°C this Summer and it did not mind it one bit. And I agree it's an excellent thread started by Connor @Connor Sullivan.
    Would I recommend Summer gold, the answer is a big YES.
    Hope that's of some help.

Connor Sullivan and vbx like this.
  9. Connor Sullivan

So “Maple Collector” from YouTube said his folks Emperor 1 is his pick for most durable FULL HOT SUN maple. It’s planted in Sacramento Valley and has done perfectly in 105+ sun. He said the Moonfire has preformed well too but gets a little burnt.

Everyone seems to agree Shirazz/GGW and Beni Shi En perform really well in hot sun too. I’ve heard mixed things on Osakazuki but most seem to think it’s a good full sun maple.

I just wanted to share this info.

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

@Connor Sullivan, I agree totally Connor, Emperor 1 is a tried and tested cultivar in full sun. Thanks for sharing what you found.

11. vbx

vbx Active Member

Update: I added a couple of "24 inch drip spikes" to my Maple trees. Let's see if this would help out next summer. I already had a drip system setup so this install was easy. Add 2 spikes per tree. Each tree has a total of 4 drip emitters. So my setup will be 2 drip spikes, and 2 emitters watering from the top.

[​IMG]

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Good morning A, brilliant your trees will benefit from this greatly and especially if you get a very dry Spring. I have found over the years that attention to watering from March to May the most important, the trees are then stronger throughout the Summer and can cope with drought that little easier.

vbx likes this.
  13. vbx

vbx Active Member

Ageeed. Last year a just use my garden hose trickle near the tree for an hour and it did well.

This season, I installed a drip system and trees didn't do good.

So I found out about these stakes and will test them out.

Acerholic likes this.