Favorite bug ID book?

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by wf1992, Jun 24, 2008.

1. wf1992

wf1992 Member

I've finally found some time to get into the garden, and all of a sudden I'm noticing a lot more varieties of bugs. Maybe that's thanks to my 2-year-old's eagle eyes bringing EVERYTHING that moves to my attention!

Anyway, I'd like to get myself a some sort of bug identification field guide, with all my local Vancouver / lower mainland bugs. Internet is great, but sometimes it's good to have a good, old fashioned book to carry around and flip thru :)

I'd love to know if anyone has a favorite to recommend? Thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hrmmm, good question. I'm not sure what the best resource is on paper, but I'll ask a co-worker and maybe she'll be able to address it.

I know the best online resource, by far (in my estimation) is www.bugguide.net.

3. Ingrid Hoff

Ingrid Hoff Active Member

One of my favorites is Bugs of British Columbia written by John Acorn and illustrated by Ian Sheldon (published by Lone Pine). It's a compact paperback (field guide) so it's easy to carry around with you and the 125 different write ups and illustrations should keep you and your "eagle-eye" 2 year old entertained and informed.
    Happy bug hunting.