Arbutus: Falling of A. menziesii

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by LPN, Nov 13, 2006.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

A new water storage and treatment facility in our area, has yeilded some ugly results. To temporarily prevent anyone from driving onto the property, a large A. menziesii was cut down and laid across the access. I'm certain that it was the nearest and easiest tree to cut to facilitate the construction companies need.
    A magnificent tree was butchered for a lazy attempt at closing off access to an "off limit" area. I know they are fairly abundant in our area, but it bothers me anyway.
    If I have the fortitude, I'd take a pic and post it. In the mean time, a letter to town council is, my next plan of attact.

Cheers, LPN.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Ah heck, it was probably only one or two hundred years old. A replacement will be back up in no time.

Somebody should at least make use of the firewood.

3. LPN

Ron B ... sounds like that might be the sentiments of the construction company. They haven't been directed by your call have they?

Cheers, LPN.

4. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I doubt they'll make that mistake again. Arbutus, as I'm sure you know, is some seriously hard wood. I dulled my saw on one cut of an old stump here on my property.

5. LPN

Old Madrone wood is very hard. Green wood is much easier to cut and split.
    Cheers, LPN.

6. Alison

Alison Active Member

How sickening... how about sending a copy of your letter to the manager of the construction company?

7. fern2

fern2 Active Member

Or the media?

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

indeed, some Cities, for instance Surrey BC, have a short list of trees that cannot be felled without special permits. greater than the regular tree removal permit alone. including Arbutus. Bylaw 12880 at city of surrey website under the definition of protected tree, paragraph C

9. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

and the media is a good idea. lets save a few more trees. I watched 'the journal" last night on CBC, it had a 30 minute feature about some dude hitchhiking from toronto to vancouver. they must be HURTING for actual news.