Fairy Bells?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by curioustraveller, Aug 25, 2020.

1. curioustraveller

curioustraveller Active Member 10 Years

I don't remember seeing flowers on these but I think they are Prosartes Trachycarpa. Am I correct?

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@curioustraveller good afternoon, IMO you are spot on. The Roughfruit fairybells as they are commonly known.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

For what it's worth, the fruit of my Prosartes hookeri and P. smithii (formerly Disporum) is found beneath the leaves, not above, as in your photos and others. It would seem that the roughness and size of the fruit plus the fact that they are held above the leaves suggests P. trachycarpa. This is not definitive I know as there are other Prosartes species although they are not likely native to the Edmonton area.

Silver surfer likes this.
  5. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

This looks similar to what I have seen in the rockies
    Streptopus amplexifolius - white mandarin

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Streptopus amplexifolius does look quite similar to the plant in @curioustraveller 's photos. I don't think it is though. S. amplexifolius is often referred to as Clasping Twisted Stalk for the reason that there is a pronounced zig-zag to the the main stem. Even the little stem (peduncle?) that attaches the flower has a kink in it which the photos above do not show. Also, the flowers and fruit of S. amplexifolius are more likely to hang under the stem than on top of it. E-Flora BC photos show this quite clearly. E-Flora BC Atlas Page

upload_2020-8-25_16-44-27.png

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Just a small correction - the twisted stalk part of the name has to do with the pedicel (the stalk below the flower)--it is this that is twisted, as shown in your image. The zigzag stems are also cool, though!