Appreciation: Fagus sylvatica 'Aspleniifolia'

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by wcutler, Aug 14, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This nice old Fagus sylvatica 'Aspleniifolia', fern-leaf beech, is in the Shakespeare Garden in Stanley Park. I do not know its connection to Shakespeare. The area under the tree is around 20 meters in diameter or a bit more, a nice place to hide out, which nobody really seems to do.
    Fagus-sylvaticaAsplenifolia_StanleyParkShakespeareGarden_Cutler_20200814_141053.jpg Fagus-sylvaticaAsplenifolia_StanleyParkShakespeareGarden_Cutler_20200814_141550.jpg Fagus-sylvaticaAsplenifolia_StanleyParkShakespeareGarden_Cutler_20200814_141218.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2020
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spelling is 'Aspleniifolia'. Other cultivars of var. heterophylla include 'Incisa' and 'Quercifolia'.

wcutler likes this.
  4. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@Acerholic, that source continues: "The garden is a diverse arboretum that includes trees mentioned in his plays and poems."
    @Ron B, thanks for the "ii"s. I have fixed the spelling. I looked at the name several times before typing it, should have copied it.