British Columbia: Experience with Brachyglottis Sunshine (Senecio Greyii)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sabaf, Sep 23, 2013.

1. sabaf

sabaf Active Member

Does anyone have experience with Brachyglottis Sunshine (Senecio Greyii)?

I am wondering if it will remain green year round (it is an evergreen perennial?) here in the lower mainland, if planted in a Southern facing garden at relatively low elevation (175' above sea level) and we are only about 500 ft away from the Burrard Inlet.

Please advise if you think Senecio Greyii will behave as an evergreen perennial in this described location.

Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Note that Brachyglottis 'Sunshine' is Senecio greyi hort. and not Brachyglottis greyi (Hook. f.) B. Nord. (Senecio greyi Hook. f.) - what became 'Sunshine' was grown for a time as the latter plant by mistake; the latter plant still exists, as a separate entity.

How 'Sunshine' will do for you depends on exactly how cold it will get on the planting site there. It is hardy enough that there are numerous bushes of some size down here, but is not hardy enough to come through all local winters unaffected.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I'm growing a bunch of it North of you (mid-island), and have planted it both in waterfront locations, and higher up. All are thriving, and have come through the a couple of nasty cold snaps over the past decade. It does (as mentioned) get some cold damage on the tips during a nasty cold snap, but has been otherwise unaffected. When they are affected, they recover quickly.

Be aware that a single one gallon plant will, after a few seasons, cover a fair bit of ground--around 5' x 5' of so.

One of my favourite plants: evergreen (silver), uber-drought hardy, and a tidy shape. It should thrive in your location.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013