Ever-bearing Strawberries; Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Olafhenny, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Hi:
    I have just moved my strawberry bed to the site, where the tomatoes were last year, to make room for the tomatoes a new location.

The strawberries I have now are ever-bearing. I like the fact, that they spread the harvest period out over much of the summer, but the variety I have now seems to start deteriorating almost the moment they are picked. After only one day they become outright shriveled and rather unsightly. They are also smallish, but I believe that is to be expected in an ever-bearing variety.

I'd like to try a new variety this summer. Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Olaf

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've had good luck with both Tristar and Hecker, both readily available day-neutral types. The berries are not huge, but they taste great and are good for freezing. The trick for good production is to pick off the early flowers that form on plants planted in the Spring. All flowers should be picked off until the plants are fairly large and growing robustly, usually in June. If you don't pick off these early flowers the plants will remain stunted and will not produce much of a crop. They should produce continuously from June through October, when it gets too wet and cold. My only complaint is that these varieties tend to produce too many flowers, and the berries consequently keep getting smaller and smaller. The only solution that I've found is to keep removing some of the flowers all summer long. This will keep the berry size reasonable.

3. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, vitoc I will look out for these two varieties. I also appreciate you advice for pruning of some of the flowers. Small fruit were also a complaint with the plants, I have now