Euonymus Emerald n Gold

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by robyn, Apr 8, 2021.

1. robyn

robyn Active Member 10 Years

Hi there,

I have an awful chain link fence I’d like to obscure, and thought Emerald n Gold could help. However when I look up their sizing info, it says 2-3feet high, but I swear it’s this cultivar I’ve seen growing much taller. Does the sizing only count when grown as a shrub and not up something? Or it’s a different variety I don’t know about? Any experience?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

For what it's worth, here is a picture of my Euonymus 'Emerald 'n' Gold' (with yellow new growth) which was growing here when we moved in 15 years ago. It seems healthy but is probably not growing in the best soil nor is it ever fertilized. For me, it has been very slow-growing (now only about 2 feet tall) but I see on some websites it is described as being fast. Even so, I've never seen any that would do a creditable job obscuring even a 4-foot chain link fence within the length of time you'd probably want it to.

Common though it may be, I would consider a 'Smaragd' cedar hedge (Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd') aka Emerald Green Cedar. It is narrow, easy to care for and, as long as it's on the inside of the fence, the deer won't eat it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's a low bush that climbs given support.