Espalier circles ?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by eric gordon, Apr 15, 2016.

1. eric gordon

eric gordon New Member

I want to create a circle of espaliered/cordoned fruit trees round a fountain .. can i do it .. how ..ideas ..experience ?

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I'd think it would have to be a pretty big fountain and surround. While you could create a sculptural pyramid or cone or column shape with pruned fruit trees, one of the generally good principles to follow with fruit trees is to open the canopy and allow air and sun in. So these shapes would concentrate shade and limit air circulation.

Okay, so you go bigger, say your diameter is like that of a full size car's length. You probably wouldn't want any more than four trees, but may find really dwarf trees that will suit you. You would want to have similar sized and growth potential, if different fruits. And if you wanted intricate shapes with grafted branches you'd have to go with same genus pretty much. So not an apple and a peach and a tangerine.

Let's say you simply want pruned fruiting trees around a large space centered with a fountain. Then, you could start with laying out posts in your circle, probably set in concrete, and attach wires all the way around at three or five levels up to your anticipated pruned height. I'd probably plant between the posts, and not at the base of the posts, but you need the wire or fencing to be sturdy enough to fasten the young trees to it and to force the laterals.

I would avoid wire down here because of the heat. We can burn young growth touching metal, but you may not have that issue. I think most temperate areas use wire strung for espalier.

Pleasant daydreaming for me!