Appreciation: Ergotism

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by allelopath, Jul 3, 2020.

1. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

Frog and Arlette like this.
  2. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Interesting !!!
    Claviceps purpurea is a very dangerous parasite of grasses and we are fortunate that the strict control of flours today preserves us from the effects of its infestations because long ago, especially in the Middle Ages, it caused problems. serious.
    This species produces alkaloids from the ergotine group, including lysergic acid. These alkaloids have powerful effects on animals (including humans) who ate infected rye. They are very thermostable, therefore effective even after cooking.
    The main effects are vasoconstriction (circulatory problems) and interaction with the central nervous system (hallucinations).
    Ergot intoxication disease, ergotism, in the Middle Ages was often fatal and always had devastating effects on the communities that were affected.

Warn me if I'm off topic so I don't do it anymore !!!!

allelopath and Frog like this.
  3. allelopath

I'll just hide from C. Purpurea under here

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Acerholic, wcutler and Frog like this.
  4. allelopath

Just came across this at LiveScience:

...the same fungal compounds that cause ergotism were later isolated and used for medical purposes, including treatment of headaches, as is the case for the drug ergotamine. Today, most cases of ergotism are due to ergot alkaloid treatments, for instance, if the doses are too high or the treatment is prolonged, ASM said. But people can sometimes develop ergotism even when taking normal doses of ergot-based drugs.

Woman's migraine medication caused a bizarre 'medieval' disease | Live Science

Frog and wcutler like this.