Epson Salt and roses

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by shiroi oni, Nov 20, 2005.

1. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Epsom Salt and roses

I heard about sprinkling the rose bed with epsom salt every once and awhile, the roses supposedly like the magnesium and other minerals found in the epsom salt. Is this true or will the salt kill the rose bush?

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

As with any plant nutrients, too much of a good thing can be bad. Incorporating Epsom salt into the fertilising program has become part of the ritual of many a rosarium. Epsom salt, magnesium sulfate , is claimed to increase "basal breaks", i.e., those highly desirable healthy thick new shoots that arise from the crown or base of the plant. It is likely that that adding it to soil that is already depleted in Magnesium will be beneficial. However, if your soil is already rich in magnesium, adding more is unlikely to bring about more beneficial effects and may potentially be harmful. It tends to acidify the soil. If your soil pH is already low, adding Epsom salt could actually be detrimental.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: Soils vary. Beware of across-the-board cultural recommendations that seem to be especially prevalent in discussions of rose growing.

4. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

For a typical saline soil in Pasadena, applying Epsom
    salt at a rate of two ounces per established Rose per
    year and watering in well will not hurt anything. I
    prefer to apply Epsom salt by itself for Roses, not
    in conjunction with another fertilizer and apply it
    about four to six weeks after I've already applied
    my complete fertilizer.

We generally use Epsom salt in saline soils on Roses
    here as a substitute for Iron sulfate or Calcium sulfate.

Jim

5. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated. I'm going to try a very weak solution of epsom salts on my climbing rose, though I will hold off epsom salting my miniature roses, being their beds are surrounded by other vegetitation.

shiroi oni

6. greenwitch

greenwitch Member

I was wondering when it's advisable to begin fertilizing roses. Should I begin when I see signs of new growth in spring, or should I wait for a later time? Some of my roses are showing vigorous signs of growth - lots of shoots, and others are just starting. Is there some sign I should look for in either weather or the plant itself which will give me a clue? I'm obviously new to the world of roses and don't want to muck it up! Thanks.

7. marinka

marinka Member

Im in Richmond -bc, and after neglecting my poor roses for 3 years - this last spring and summer we decided to become doctors to see what we can do to bring the poor girls up to their original glory. So far so good-most just finished their second and some - third bloom - however...... most of them only have 1 shoot.
    Have finished fertilizing them - and already applied potassium- for overwintering-
    can I now apply some Epson Salt to promote more basal shoots??? I am not too happy with the candelabra look! - or should I wait till early spring?
    Anyone with any other idea of how I can get more shoots - please let me know.
    thanks

8. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Unless your soil has been completly leeched by over watering or maybe the use of too many chemical fertilizers there is no need to use Epsom salts. Epsom salts magnesium sulphate could cause more problems if the soil is already not healthy. The sulpher part of the mix is acid and breaks the organics in the soil down causing further leeching of nutriments. Roses perfer a rich enviroment to thrive in they are heavy feeders and need a soil rich in organics and humis. For me the surrounding soil is the most important factor in promoting good root growth and general plant heath. In the spring dig in some composted manure not to deep, roses have a shallow root system. Keep the area under the plant cool and well drained and they should take care of themselves. If you feel the need to fertilize use an even mix slow release 6-6-6 in the spring and in the fall 6-8-6 and follow the instructions.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007