Encephalartos woodii off-shoot

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by yousatonmycactus, Jan 24, 2007.

1. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

I took some photos this week at Lotusland and was able to get shots of the three mature specimens as well as some cones and an off shoot which is about 1' tall.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Running into problems with image size?

3. yousatonmycactus

How did you guess?

It seems every photo I attempt to send, after a VERY long upload wait, comes back as "image too large". I know you recommended a photo site that may fix this, but I hesitate to ask my wife to do MY homework for me after she comes home from a day of teaching computer lab. I am sure that it will get worked out eventually, in the mean time, my photo library continues to grow...

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'll increase the photo size limits. Give me 5 minutes.

5. yousatonmycactus

Daniel,

You are most kind.

I will send a few pics your way and see how it works. By the way, my wife just got home and is in the process of setting up a web site for a quilting class she is taking. She is most interested in this process of photo uploading for her site, so maybe I will get her input without having to ask...

6. yousatonmycactus

A few more from Monday.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Still not working? I increased the size to 8MB - you must have one heck of a camera!

8. yousatonmycactus

Arrrrgh.....!
    This is "The Wife" (aka Mary). I am just looked at the 5 attachments that Guy just tried to send and they were all over 1MB each (one of them was 2MB). Give me a bit of time (up to a year) to see if I can get you something smaller. Wish me luck!

9. Daniel Mosquin

It shouldn't be a problem at 1-2MB now, but I'll have to check with a larger file from home.

10. yousatonmycactus

All these are the same pix as last upload, but all at dimensions of 640x480 and totals a whopping 75K. This is obviously faster....but what about the lack of pixel clarity?

Attached Files:

11. Daniel Mosquin

Too compressed now - I usually like one dimension to be 800 pixels long, and saved at max JPG quality. A lot of potential there from what I can see, though!

12. yousatonmycactus

Encephalartos woodii (800x600)
    PIX No. (22), (24)with oak, (26), (27)cone closeup, (35) off-shoot on right between fronds

Attached Files:

13. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi where is this woodii? I WANT one!!!!Hahahaha!!! Realy is beautiful ,but the habitat in on danger?or the meteo conditions that change?Why is rare?Some one know the answer?

14. yousatonmycactus

These three male Encephalartos woodii are located at Lotusland, in Montecito (Santa Barbara), California, United States. They are rare in the sense that there are no known female examples and therefore they can only reproduce through off shoots or cloning. Thank you for your interest.