Embothrium coccineum seed

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Lucile, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Lucile

Lucile Member

I have just picked my Embothrium seed and am wondering whether it needs any strat. I think in the past we have planted it in the spring, but if we plant now and keep it moist, will it come up this fall?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I wouldn't store it, I'd plant it promptly and overwinter in a coldframe or cool green house. Prone to damping off, mulching container with granite grit may give considerably improved results.

3. Sierra

Sierra Member

Hello Ron,

I am doing some research for the Washington Park Arboretum and looking into cultural difficulties with Chilean Plants. We are starting a Chilean garden here and will be sending an expedition to chile in a few years. One of the problems we have had is with embothrium seeds germinating well, but quickly dieing off - possibly in relation to phosphorus fertilizers. Has UBC had this problem or do you have any thoughts on what may be causing this? Are there other chilean plants (proteacous or not) with similar issues? Have you run into other horticultural/nutritional issues with this or other chilean plants?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Heronswood has had a big red warning on their web site to not use P on Embothrium. Yet: I've put lawn fertilizer on mine a few times and thought I had seen an improvement (probably from the N content, as is usually the case with garden plants here generally). There was no control, so I can't say for sure the fertilizer had an effect. Anyway, it didn't damage them visibly, which is the main point. My latest thinking is that some P is fine if the plants are in the ground, those in containers filled with soilless potting media being more vulnerable--if, in fact, anyone has actually killed or damaged Embothrium with P fertilization. So far I have seen no mention of specific instances, leaving it possible that this concern is based on supposition only.

A friend once got copious germination of Embothrium, e-mail me for his phone number.

5. RedGhost

RedGhost Member

Sierra,
    do you know of a place in Seattle area where I can pick some seeds for the Chilean fire plant (or even better, an already established one).

6. Sierra

Sierra Member

7. RedGhost

RedGhost Member

Sierra,
    Thank you for your response.
    I had already called the couple of nurseries listed on that thread and no one has them...