Elms + Nickel???

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by dstout, Jun 22, 2007.

1. dstout

dstout Member

I not sure if this is the correct place to put this thread, but I need an answer anyways, haha.

Early this spring, I applied a heavy coat of Nickel through an airblast application to a good sized crop of Pecans. Sitting beside the pecans was a crop of Chinese Elms. What I have witnessed throughout this growing season is that the sides of the Elms that were facing the pecans, and possibly exposed to the application, have developed a "dwarf" leaf. These leaves are definitely smaller, more sparse, and not as hearty as the other sides. I tried to find an article online with any type of information about this, but came up empty handed. Any ideas or experience with this??

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello dstout

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/sugrbeet.htm

this web site shows nickel toxicity and a number of others in sugar beets

High concentrations of nickel cause severe chlorosis and necrosis in plants and a host of other growth abnormalities and anatomical changes. Nickel is not absolutely required for the normal growth and development of plants and, therefore, can not be ranked under the essential elements. Nevertheless, it is necessary for the healthy development of some plants where it is considered as an essential element.
    from Mishra, D. ; Kar, M. 1974 Bot. Rev. ; Vol/Issue: 40:4

3. dstout

dstout Member

Awesome! I'll bet that's the problem with them. I was trying to find information on a few other sites, thinking it was a fungus or other type of disease. Then I remembered where these trees got pulled from, and remembered the Zinc and Nickel treatments.