Elephant Bush

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by codyb89, Apr 6, 2008.

1. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

I just recently purchased an Elephant Bush (Portulacaria afra) in a 4.5'' pot and was wondering if there is any specific soil i should use to repot it or what because i heard that for plants like this, different soil should be used than the soil that came with it. I really just want to give this plant a good start! Thank you.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it's probaby in peat now if you just bought it. peat is bad in the long run for succulents, it's just very easy for the growers to use it en masse.

use cactus soil. or cactus soil mixed with perlite. or cactus soil mixed with small rocks/gravel (make sure to get something that has not been treated with anything like coloring or anything to make it shiny).

the pot should be unglazed clay and should have a drainage hole. you can put it in a larger; more decorative container to hide the clay if you don't like the look (i don't ;) )

when you repot, make sure to shake off all the peat that's in the roots and let it sit, in the new soil, for a week or so before you water - you want to give the roots a chance to recuperate from being disturbed. then, water thoroughly - water should drain out of the drainage hole a little bit. water again when the soil is dry - depending on the size of the pot, that should be in about 2 weeks - a little less if it's a very small pot and a little more if it's on the larger side.

3. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

well the actual plant is about 6- 7" and the pot is about 5" so should i wait for about 2 weeks before i repot is that what you are saying? Thank you.

4. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

I did what u said i think that the cactus soil may be to soft or something becuase the plant easily moves one way or the other when i pick up the pot.... i sort of tied the ends stalks to sticks to help it stay upright and straight.. Should i still wait a week to water?

5. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

Does this look right? I repotted it.. cut some of the top off and put it in the dirt just to see what happens. I have only been watering it when its dry...!

Attached Files:

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you can tamp the soil down a bit - just use your fingers and gently tap it down. that should help to secure the plant and, once the roots start growing again, it'll become much more secure in the soil.

yes, taking cuttings is a way to make more plants - normally, you let the cut end dry up for a couple of days before putting it in the soil. if you didn't don't worry about it as it'll probably form roots anyway!

the pot size looks perfect!! and yes, let the soil dry out before watering again - for that size pot it should stay moist for about 10 days. make sure you've got it in a very sunny spot - they like the sun!