Appreciation: Egg-shaped fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by wcutler, Aug 25, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was going to title this "mushroom in focus" and post it for appreciation. I don't know that I really need an ID for it. I so seldom get a mushroom photo in focus that I didn't bother getting much information. If I remember correctly, it was around 10cm long, and there seems to be a maple in the area. It's in the front yard of an apartment building in a densely-populated area of the city (the West End). Maybe a general term for it would be good enough. I'm not sure that I've seen one of these before.
    Fungus_PendrellNicola_Cutler_20200824_142039.jpg

Nik and allelopath like this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That's an excellent photo. It will be interesting to see what those fungi do next. I know what you mean about getting a mushroom photo in focus and submit exhibit #1 to show that I have a similar difficulty. I think mine may be a puffball because there are so many around here though not quite like this one (about 2 inches across). I will be watching to see what it does next.

With the rain we've had lately, I think we'll be seeing more/earlier mushrooms this year.

upload_2020-8-25_23-0-31.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2020
  3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi @wcutler - yours appears to be a Chlorophyllum, likely C. rhacodes, shaggy parasol. Very graceful looking mushroom.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi @Margot - agreed looks like a member of puffball group- likely a Scleroderma sp. Unless of course it has a stem :-)

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Frog! I am happy to have a name for this.