Propagation: edible fig indoors

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by edurance, Nov 8, 2014.

1. edurance

edurance New Member

I live outside Penticton, South Okanagan, and need some advice on care of the first edible fig I've ever had. It lives in my sunroom, on the inside wall - no place to plant outside and too large to move elsewhere for winter. The leaves are yellowing and I'm wondering whether I need to do anything in particular for the plant over the winter: no/a little water, ?? Also, because mice chewed off the buds on the original single stem last winter (not at my place), the plant now has four branches from the base of the stem, each about 12-14" long. Should I cut off one or more and if so, when?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If annual dormancy requirement will be met and there is enough sun in summer current situation may be fine. I would also watch for bugs as it might pick some up at some point because it is inside, mites for instance. Lack of exposure to pollinators will not be a problem as these set without pollination. Some pruning will have to be done as there probably is not nearly enough room there for full development. But unless you have a specific reason for it to be single-stemmed in that location I wouldn't worry about the multiple trunks as these usually have these.

3. edurance

edurance New Member

Thanks. As the leaves are dying, I assume I should let the plant go pretty much without water until mid-late winter; would that be right?