edible banana

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by BillJ, Nov 30, 2006.

1. BillJ

BillJ Member

I know that Musa basjoo will grow well in my area (Nanaimo BC, south east coast of Vancouver Island) but is there an edible variety that will do ok without frost protection?

Our local climate is a bit wetter and cooler than Victoria, drier and probably warmer than North Vancouver.

Thanks
    BillJ

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Musa itinerans is supposedly hardy, although my plants won't go in-ground until next year. It's being reported as root hardy from Yunnan province China, seedy would likely be the case, edible maybe debatable, and the true hardiness has yet to be determined. I'm afraid that's as close as we can estimate (so far).

Cheers, LPN (Lantzville)

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

There was a Musa sikkimensis or something like that I saw for a bit at Forestfarm.com (no longer there) that I thought was listed as edible and cold-hardy to zone 7a if I remember correctly.

5. LPN

Hardy? Yes. Edible, well no one to my knowledge has had fruit, or if they have, didn't report it as being edible. I travel in tight circles and have no confimation regarding "edible" fruit from M. sikkimensis. Web-site claims are often geared for sales.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I've never heard about them being edible either, but then my circle of growers is similar to LPN's.
    What does bananaJoe grow?

7. LPN

Carol,
    I've only seen (or noticed) Musa basjoo at Joe's place.

Cheers, Barrie.

P.S. I'm enjoying the thaw now. Snow still heaped on plants that I'll attend to ASAP.

8. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

He put bananas in the fall fair, thought that they were supposed to be edible.

9. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Try a cold frame environment, for winters such as the current winter freeze that
    settled over all of B.C.'s lotusland... my Musa b. is quite content inside a greenhouse.
    This was by chance, as I never planted it out of doors along with the dozens of others.....
    will see results late in the spring for budding and fruit set, but honestly folks, our climate likely never accomodate this "tropical decadence" to bear edible fruit, even though I have witnessed fruiting of this species this year and global warming is at hand.......

10. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Forestfarm.com is pretty reputible...my memory of their catalog obviously isn't!

11. LPN