Echinopsis multiplex

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Chester, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi all:

A few years ago I asked how to care for my E. Multiplex/oxygona. It died before I had much of a chance to grow it (left it outside and the spring frost killed her dead). Anyway, I've picked up another one. Really nice specimen - one perfect green half-ball, with no corking or nicks. I'm wondering how to grow it? I understand about succulents and water I think, as I grow quite a few succulents, but what window do I put this one in? Many of my cacti seemed to get burned in my South window, or cork up for some reason. I hate that look on a cacti, and usually pitch them when that happens. So far, I've put her in the West window. Now I usually water my succulents occasionally (like every 6 weeks approx.) in the winter. That gonna work for Em?

Thanks for your help

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

although the sun is less strong during winter months, it is lower in the sky and provides light for a bit longer period of time during the day, so, burning can and does happen - especially in western exposure windows. you may be better off with a southern exposure window for this one during the winter months. or, you man need to adjust the spot in a western exposure window to compensate for the sun being lower - what i mean is you may need to move it away from the window a bit or move it off to the side a bit.

watering should be kept to a minimum during winter - which you already know and the schedule you keep sounds about right for this plant.

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Okey dokey, thank Joclyn.

Chester