Echeveria is looking kind of shrunken

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, Dec 12, 2006.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Three of my Echeveria are starting to get a shrunken kind of look. They are not plump like they used to be a couple of weeks ago. Is it because it is winter and they are summer-growers. Atleast I think they are Echeveria. Maybe I should ask two questions. What are these plants called and why are they looking this way?

Attached Files:

2. wazungy

wazungy Active Member 10 Years

It would be good to know how much you are watering it. If the soil is always wet or always dry. Where you are putting it (direct sun, artificial light, shade...) and the temperature.

It could be due to insufficient water. maybe root damage (insects, rot) maybe temperature.
    Insufficient water does not neccesarily mean to water it more!
    Roots can rot from overwatering.

Waz

3. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I water when the soil feels dry about an inch deep. The weather has been getting colder, getting to about 36 to 40 at night and anywhere from 80-60 in the daytime. We did have a frost warning a couple of weeks ago and I brought all the plants indoors. They get bright light but not direct sun.

Any idea what these plants are? I've been told they may be Echeveria runyonii.

4. wazungy

wazungy Active Member 10 Years

It does not sound like you are overwatering.
    I gather from your last post that you are keeping the plants outdoors.
    Perhaps they dislike the lower temperatures. Bringing them in (as you have) is a good idea.
    You could also check the roots for bugs (mealy bugs and the like). But from what you have said I'd see how a week or 2 of warmer indoor evenings do. If you do check the soil it is best to check when the soil is completely dry as they unpot easier then.

Waz

5. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

They are forecasting rainstorms and temperatures 32 and below at night, so I guess I will bring all my plants indoors until the temperature rise. I will see if the Echeveria improve with warmer temperatures.