Dwarf Peach with yellowing leaves

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Unregistered, Apr 26, 2004.

1. I purchased a very young Dwarf Georgia Peach a month ago. I planted it in full sun and surrounded it with mushroom compost since our soil is over 80 percent sand. I put a tree ring around it and left it plenty of room for drainage, which most likely will not be a problem since rains here (mid state South Carolina)tend to run off quite quickly. Just in the last week most of the smallest leaves are quickly yellowing and dropping. Other than that it seems to be flourishing. What should I do to prevent the leaf loss? I am using an incesticide soap rather than a spray or dust since it is such a young tree. Could the soap be part of the problem?

K Boland
    Leesville SC

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

HI,
    Is there a pest on the plant that you have identified that you are trying to kill with the soap?

It sounds like the plant is going thru a little shock (as most due) with the new enviromental change. ie bigger or out of the pot.

Give it a little time to adjust. Check with one of your local growers as to soil conditions for the tree. I know there are several peach orchards (plantantions)close to your vicinity.

We have grown these in NC with out adding any thing to the soil and they are 6 to 15 years old.

regards doug

3. There is a small variety of flying beetle that has taken to the tree as well as ants. We have always had ant problems in the yard but the beetle is new and the soap was recommended because of the young age of the tree. I have considered the sevins dust but am worried about how young the tree is.

I was hoping that an adjustment period might be the real issue here but was unsure since last year I put in a very young Cleveland Pear and, although Lowes had tried hard to kill it, it fared very well and appears to love it's new home.

Thank you for your response!