Dwarf Magnolias...need help

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by spenner, Sep 4, 2005.

1. spenner

spenner Member

I planted 5 dwarf magnolias (evergreen) as a hedge in my yard 2 years ago. They were very expensive trees and I am frustrated with their shape at the present time. I tried to ammend the soil, water sufficiently, etc. but I guess not enough. This last spring it was actually fairly dry in Seattle. The trees got dry and had a lot of leaf drop on the lower branches. Most of the bottom branches are now bare. Is there something I can do to give these trees intensive therapy? The new growth looks good but I am sad about what was lost. What should I do to get them back on track?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It is usually dry in summer here. But the problem you are having is that you bought some mildew-susceptible Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem'. If you examine the foliage you will see blotches and dusty-looking areas, this is mildew. Not a particularly dwarf plant either, it actually grows over 20' tall when successful (some here mildew badly, others do not).

3. spenner

spenner Member

Thank you for the information. I looked at the leaves and you are right! So...what should I do now? Any suggestions on a mildew treatment plan?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I see many M. grandiflora 'Little Gem' with scant foliage in this area. I think if a party has a site where it is apt to be afflicted the only real relief will come from replacement with another kind. Otherwise, annual, repeated applications of fungicides will probably be required throughout the life of the planting.

By the way, amending of planting holes is not beneficial.