Dwarf Japanese Red Maple Problem...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Regi13, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Regi13

Regi13 Member

Hi there,

I live in Southern Maryland. Last fall we planted a nice sized Dwarf Japanese Red Maple tree. Last month, during hurricane Isabel, our beautiful tree was struck by a large flying object. Two of the main branches were severed from the tree. Friends of ours told us to wrap the branches back onto the tree and hope that they survive. So I did, (don't laugh!) I figured it couldn't hurt to try, plus it upset me too much to look at the poor broken tree.

My questions... Should I remove the broken branch that I attached, will this promote more growth? Am I harming the tree by keeping the severed branch attached? If I were to remove the branch would the tree sprout new growth from the top? What can I do to help my poor tree?

Thank you for any help!

Regi

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ouch. Poor Maple. The normal way that a severed branch is handled is to prune or cut the wound area to clean the wound shape and not leave jagged wood or stubs. If it was a Maple that cost you a bundle, the best bet would be to get a professional arborist to give you a quick visit and do it for you. If you can post some pictures of the damaged area it may help us give you better suggeestions. Generally if a branhc is severed completely there is little that can be done to re-attach it unless you do so immediately after it being severed. Once the branch breaks the tissues at the break begin to dry and seal, once they have done so they are not likely to be viable. If you really want to try, you can make a fresh cut at the base of the stem that was severed, find moist, live tissues. Clean the wound on the trunk of the tree to live wood. Attach the two stems together and secure them. Seal the joint with grafting wax and hope for the best. Again, a professional may be able to help you with this, although I know most tree care companies in hurricane country are allready up to their eyeballs in work for the next few months.